Wednesday 22 October 2014

How it Began

It all started with clothes.  A wardrobe bursting at the seams, drawers overflowing, and yet that same thought every morning, "I have nothing to wear!"

I began researching capsule wardrobes online, how to have fewer clothes but more outfit options, how to get rid of the excess to leave items I'll actually wear.  Reading about minimising in this area naturally led to articles and posts on minimalism in general.

I'd always thought that 'Minimalism' was a style of interior design, consisting of very bare rooms with the odd lone item here and there. It turns out it can be a way of life, and not necessarily one consisting of cold empty rooms!

I've felt for a long time that the modern world is far too busy and hectic.  Everybody rushing around, trying to fit too much into too little time, feeling stressed and harassed.  For what end?  Do we really need to be doing the things we're frantically trying to get done?  Could we all just calm down, slow down, and take things a little easier?

From what I understand of minimalism, it's all about simplifying and getting rid of the clutter in our lives.  This clutter isn't just the abundance of possessions that we have, but can be the demands on our time, the emails in our inbox, the worries going around in our head... the list goes on.

Minimalism is getting rid of the excess so that we have time and space to enjoy and appreciate the important things in life.

I plan to explore minimalism (see what I did there?!) and see whether I can adopt some of the principles and ideas into my life, with the aim of living more simply and more contentedly.  I will in no way take minimalism to the extreme - I've read of people paring their belongings down to just 100 items - ain't gonna happen!  All respect and admiration to them, but it wouldn't make me happy.  I would like to obtain a balance that works for me, and I will share how successful (or not!) I am on this blog, along with any lessons I learn along the way.  I hope you will read along and perhaps get some inspiration and tips which could help you make some positive changes in your lives too.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin or enter your email in the sidebar to receive my posts straight to your inbox.


________________________

Nothing I've put here is new - in fact it seems I'm quite late to the party!  Some of the blogs which have opened my eyes to minimalism are:

Project 333
Into Mind
Becoming Minimalist


6 comments:

  1. Good luck Maria! I look forward to the next instalment... from Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When you have a clock in your house, you know the time. Once you get two clocks you are no longer certain."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that it is a lifestyle and the getting rid of the clutter in life. Not necessarily possessions but things on your mind as well. It sounds like it could be a great help to get in to a better pace and to have less stress. I am looking forward to see what you will find. Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is big time resonating with me these days. I've been watching a lot of 90's movies recently and more and more I wish I could go back to the 90's. Things were so much easier. One phone in your house, you played outside because that's all you could really do, and you had to learn from books. There's a small part of me that wants to move out into the woods. No electricity, just making things simpler.

    So glad to see Exploring Minimalism! I remember us chatting in bed in London about it. That sounded so risque! ;)

    xx A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I am looking forward to more posts - I am feeling the need for a simpler, less cluttered life too! Must be something in the air :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you will prove inspirational to a lot of us who are in need of help in de-stressing our lives.

    ReplyDelete